Rules for Admission of Associate Members
Made by Resolution of the Council on 1st January 1996
1. Associate Membership of the Society will be open to any person who has a genuine interest in the miniature equine. Each person applying for admission as an Associate Member of the Society may be requested to complete a Form of Application in such form as the Council may for the time being prescribe.
2. A person shall not be admitted as an Associate Member unless the Council has approved admission of that personas an Associate member. The Council shall have an absolute discretion to refuse associate membership of the Society to any person and the Council shall not be obliged to provide any explanation of such refusal. A person shall be admitted as an Associate Member of the Society on the date upon which the Secretary of the Society sends and acknowledgement to that person to the effect that that person ahs been admitted as a member provided that the commencement of membership of an Associate Member may commence on a prior date if the person becoming an Associate Member so requests and the Council resolves to approve the commencement of Associate member ship of that person on that earlier date.
3. The Secretary of the Society shall keep a Register in which shall be recorded the following details of all Associate Members:
(i) Name and any change of name notified by the Associate Member.
(ii) Address and any change of address notified by the Associate Member.
(iii) Date of entry as an Associate Member.
(iv) Payment of Subscription Fees.
The register of Associate Members shall not be open to inspection by Associate Members except that an Associate Member shall be entitled upon written request to the Secretary to be supplied with an extract of the Register showing all details recorded in respect of that Associate Member. The Register shall only be open to inspection by members of the Council of the Society and the Secretary who are bound to use any information from the Register only for the purpose of the Society.
4. An Associate Member shall pay to the Society an annual subscription fee of such sum as the Council shall determine for each calendar year. The amount of the annual subscription fee for a year shall be notified to each Associate member by not later than 20th November in the previous year. The fee for a year must be paid to the Society by no later than 1st January in that year ("the due date").
5. A new Associate Member shall pay the full amount of the Annual Subscription Fee applicable to the year in which the new Associate member is admitted as an Associate Member ("the admission year") even if the new Associate Member is admitted part way through the Admission Year. The new Associate Member shall pay the Annual subscription Fee due to that new Associate Member at the time of submitting their Application of Membership.
6. An Associate Member shall be entitled to the following rights as an Associate Member of the Society;
(i) The right to represent themselves as an Associate Member of the Society for so long as their Associate Membership of the Society continues.
(ii) The right to request that any miniature equine owned by the Associate Member be entered on the Registers of Miniature Equines, the time being maintained by the Society provided that such miniature equines and the Associate Member otherwise conforms to all of the requirements prescribed by the Council for registration of miniature equines on the Registers and maintenance of any such registration.
(iii) The right to be informed together with all other Associate Members of the Society of all information concerning the keeping, breeding and welfare of miniature equines coming to the knowledge of the Society and which the Council considers appropriate for dissemination amongst the Associate members of the Society and of any changes to the regulations governing the keeping of the Registers of Miniature Equines by the Society.
7. An Associate Member may cease to be an Associate Member at any time by one clear month's notice in writing to the Secretary of the Society but an Associate Member shall not be entitled to receive any refund of any fee paid by that Associate Member if that Associate Member terminates membership pursuant to this provision even if such membership terminates part way through a calendar year.
8. The Council may at any time resolve that an Associate Member shall cease to be an Associate member of the Society in any of the following circumstances:
(i) If the Associate Member shall be convicted of any criminal offence or shall make any composition or arrangement with that Associate Member's creditors generally;
(ii) if the conduct of the Associate Member shall in the opinion of the Council be injurious to the character or interests of the Society or otherwise objectionable in any respect and such Associate Member has been afforded an opportunity of attending before a meeting of the Council and explaining that Associate Member's conduct.
9. No miniature equine shall be entered in any of the Society's Registers of Miniature Equines for the time being maintained by the Society unless that Miniature Equine is owned exclusively by an Associate Member or Associate Members of the Society. All registrations are taken on trust, but in the event of a dispute (should it be that a pedigree is not as declared) that Equine shall be removed from the Register of Miniature Equines for the time being maintained by the Society.
10. An Associate Member shall not be a member of the Society for the purposes of Companies Acts 1985 and 1989 and / or any amendment or replacement thereof. Accordingly, an Associate Member is under no liability to contribute to the assets of the Society in the event of the winding up or liquidation of the Society.